Published on June 4th, 2015 | by Mattress Journal0
4th of July Mattress Sale Preview: Top Picks from Macy’s, Sears & More
As summer temperatures climb, many retailers are also firing up some of the season’s hottest deals on beds. 4th of July mattress sales prove a popular time for deals, as Independence Day is the last major holiday of the summer.
Second to Labor Day and Black Friday, the 4th of July is actually one of the best times of the year to find mattress deals and save many other bedroom products. Retailers love these national holidays because many people are off work, with extra time to hit the malls or shop online.
More and more folks prefer the convenience of shopping online. Many mattress companies have made online shopping a downright pleasure. If time is an issue for you, the internet is the way to go for the Independence Day mattress sales. You can do much of your research from your couch!
4th of July Mattress & Bedding Sale Trends
Curious about what kind of sales this year’s Independence Day will bring? We don’t blame you. Mattress sales often follow similar patterns every holiday, and July 4th offers are no different. We scanned over retailer’s offers and these are the main trends we spotted.
Many retailers this year are beginning their 4th of July sales well in advance of the holiday weekend. Some will start in late June, and others in early July. Most retailers will have the offers available by Saturday, July 4 and will extend these promotions throughout the holiday weekend, until Sunday or Monday. You have some time, but you should start your window shopping soon.
2014’s Top Trends
Rebates are always popular among department stores and larger brands. With these offers, you can get a check by mail for a portion of purchase costs or receive pillows and other promotional items by mail.
The downside is that you must keep all of your receipts and paperwork in order, fill out and mail forms, and wait 4-8 weeks to receive the rebate. Because they take a lot of work on the consumer’s part, many people often forget to send in rebates by deadline and miss out on the savings.
Dollar or percent discounts are usually people’s preferred way to save, and many retailers are marking down beds or offering coupons and instant savings this year. Do be aware that some of these “discounts” may be exaggerated, however. The percentages off or dollar savings are often taken off an inflated “retail” price which the bed would never actually be sold at.
Don’t be blinded by huge savings like 75% off. Instead, to see if you’re getting a good deal, look at the mattress quality and how the sale price compares to other beds of similar quality.
Another continuing trend for 4th of July sales this year is the inclusion of free boxsprings or foundations with select mid to higher-end mattress purchases. Some retailers are also including pillows or other bedding accessories.
Freebies like these can add value if they are things you were already planning on purchasing. Boxsprings are typically worth $100-300, foundations $200-$400, and pillows can be worth anywhere from $20-$150 each. Some require mail-in forms to receive.
Giveaways can make comparison shopping difficult. Try your best to find the actual price of the free items and
This year, several more retailers are focusing on online specials. Many major department stores and national mattress showrooms are offering sales for online shoppers, and several online retailers are also participating in July 4th promotions.
This can be advantageous for shoppers, as you have better opportunity to research and compare beds when shopping online versus in showrooms. Plus, you can also skip the packed stores, high-pressure sales, and spend more time enjoying the holiday.
July 4th Mattress Sale Highlights
Although not all retailers have released their Independence Day sales yet, we’ve highlighted the top picks from the ones we could find via press releases, ads, deal websites and news sources.
We looked at 4th of July mattress sales from Sears, Macy’s, Mattress Firm, and several other stores, comparing offers on quality and overall value. Our top picks are sorted by category below, encompassing both budget-friendly and mid-range options.
Memory Foam Deals
Memory foam deals are popular this summer, and several stores have specials on name brand and promotional memory foam mattresses. Key things to look at when shopping include memory foam thickness and density, core foam density, return policies, and depth of impression covered by warranties. You also want to find out if the mattress is plant-based, gel-infused or simply traditional memory foam. Here are eight great deals to check out of you’re looking for a memory foam bed during 4th of July sales:
- $219 – Spa Sensations 8″ Memory Foam Queen Mattress at Walmart
- $399 – Macybed Memory Foam Tight Top Luxury Firm Queen Mattress at Macy’s
- $469.99 – Slumber Solutions Gel Memory Foam 12” Queen Mattress at Overstock.com
- $565.99 – Grande Hotel Posture Support Memory Foam 14” Queen Mattress at Overstock.com
- $699 – Amerisleep Columbus Plant-Based Memory Foam Queen Mattress at Amerisleep.com
- $899.99 – Serta Kales 10” Memory Foam Queen Set at Mattress Firm
- $1299 – Amerisleep Revere Plant-Based Memory Foam Queen Mattress at Amerisleep.com
- $2197 – Serta iComfort Brilliant EFX Plush Memory Foam Queen Set at Macy’s
As the top-selling mattress type, there are many innerspring mattress offers to choose from, including entry-level, mid-range and luxury spring beds. Key things to compare when looking for an innerspring mattress include coil type and count, quality of foams and padding, return policies, and depth of impression covered by warranties. Innerspring mattress sales abound this July 4th. We narrowed down 20 of the better values and better-rated mattresses on sale, including:
- $189 – Slumber 1 8” Queen Mattress-In-a-Box at Walmart
- $199 – Signature Sleep Gold Series CertiPUR-US 8″ Coil Queen Mattress at Walmart
- $297 – Beautyrest Hanna Firm Queen Set at Macy’s
- $299 – Macybed Grand Plush Super Pillowtop Queen Mattress at Macy’s
- $389 – Sealy Talworth Queen Set at Sears
- $397 – Sealy Posturepedic Kirby Hill Firm Tight Top Queen Set at Macy’s
- $499.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Bristol Way Supreme Euro Top Queen Set at Overstock.com
- $499.99 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Firm Queen Set at Sleepy’s
- $499.99 – Sealy Brookwater Firm Queen Set at Sleepy’s
- $599.99 – Serta Taryn Queen Set at Sears
- $697 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Plush Tight Top Queen Set at Macy’s
- $699.99 – Beautyrest Recharge Signature Select Ashaway Plush Queen Set at Mattress Firm
- $796.49 – Sealy Posturepedic Chargrove Euro Pillow Top Queen Set at Sears
- $799.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Dunlake Luxury Firm Queen Set at Sleepy’s
- $849.99 – Beautyrest Recharge Signature Select Hartfield Luxury Firm Queen Set at Mattress Firm
- $895.49 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Fitzpatrick Firm Pillowtop Queen Set at Sears
- $1297 – Serta iSeries Island Retreat Plush Tight Top Queen Set at Macy’s
- $1599.99 – Beautyrest Recharge World Class Bridgewater Firm Queen Set at Mattress Firm
- $1797 – Beautyrest Next Generation Hybrid 450 Firm Queen Set at Macy’s
- $2299 – Aireloom Hotel Collection Vitagenic Streamline Cushion Firm HL Queen Set at Macy’s
Latex Bed Deals
Latex mattresses are becoming quite the rage, though they are not widely available. Online shopping may be your best bet if looking for a latex bed. Organic models are available for those who would like an eco-friendly and toxin-free mattress. Be sure to note the type of latex used, the firmness, return policies and warranties when comparing. Latex mattress sales aren’t very common, but we found a few retailers offering deals this year:
- $462.32 – Modern Sleep Pristine 8” Latex Hybrid Queen Mattress at Walmart
- $503.99 – Select Luxury E.C.O. 10” Latex Hybrid Queen Mattress at Overstock.com
- $1599 – Astrabeds SonomaBed Organic Latex Custom Queen Mattress at Astrabeds.com
- $2294.99 – Nature’s Rest Virtue Luxury Plush Latex Euro Top Queen Set at Overstock.com
Adjustable Bed Deals
Several stores are also offering specials on bedding accessories to complete your room, including adjustable beds, pillows, sheets, mattress toppers and more. Adjustable beds are a luxury in the bedroom and Independence Day deals are a good time to save, with several stores offering discounts in the several-hundred dollar range. Here are a few we found:
- $797 – Serta Pivot Queen Motion Foundation at Macy’s (mattress separate)
- $1299 – Simmons Beautyrest Renew Adjustable Base in Queen at Sleepy’s (after $700 discount, mattress separate)
- $2198 and up – Amerisleep Memory Foam and Ergo Invincible Adjustable Bed Sets at Amerisleep.com (after $700 instant savings / $500 on base, $200 on mattress)
- $1897 – Aireloom Hotel Collection Queen Base at Macy’s (mattress separate)
- $2574 and up – Serta iSeries/iComfort and Adjustable Bed Sets at Serta.com and retailers (after up to $1000 instant savings, varies by mattress and base selection)
- $1897 – Leggett and Platt S-Cape Queen Base at Macy’s
Getting the Best Bed This 4th of July
Choosing a mattress you’ll be happy with for years to come involves more than getting a good deal and a quick showroom test. Here’s the short version of our list of mattress shopping tips designed to help you choose the right bed:
- Discuss sleep preferences with your partner, including firmness, sleep position, and any issues you have with your current bed.
- Keep notes on the specifics of each offer.
- Research online reviews and try and variety of beds and materials before committing.
- Compare mattress specifications rather than just brand names and prices.
- Make sure you have at least 30 days to return.
- Always look into what a warranty does and does not cover and how long it is.
Although many retailers will be offering deals this Independence Day, keep in mind that not all of them are necessarily a good value. You want to make sure that the materials in the bed will hold up to regular use, that the bed fits your needs and that the mattress is backed with return and warranty guarantees.
Relax and take all the information in. Don’t rush into a purchase or you may regret it. No need to worry because you are shopping during some of the greatest sales of the year. July 4t mattress sales are a good time to be shopping for a new bed.
With a little research and smart shopping, you can get a great deal and a mattress you’ll be happy with during this year’s 4th of July mattress sales.